Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Surf's Up!

We went for our first surfing lesson last week. It was cold and a little rainy, but we decided to go anyways since we knew we'd be wearing wetsuits. It was challenging but so much fun. We learned about the rips and waves and went through the process of getting up on the board on the sand first. Then we went in the water to have a go at it. We were in the water for about 1.5 hours, and were so exhausted by the end. The first time I got up I rode the wave to the shore, which was awesome. The instructors could tell that I snowboard. I thought that would help me a lot, but surfing is so different from snowboarding. Once you're in the water, the only way to take a break is to get out; otherwise, you are constantly fighting against the waves and getting hit by them. I've never drank so much salt water in my life! Here we are before the lesson:

We went back over the weekend to watch some of the instructors do some tandem surfing, and so we could try it too. They do a lot of lifts and tricks while on the board, it was really cool to watch them. I went out for a bit with one of the guys. We practiced the lifts on the sand and then went in the water to try them. It's so much fun to have someone lift you in the air while you're in the water and on a surfboard! My tandem surfing debut:

No comments:

Post a Comment