Monday, March 2, 2009

Australia's Last Riverboat Postman

As much as I'd enjoy spending all my time here holidaying and sightseeing, I have to admit, I love working at the clinic. A lot. I have learned so many new things to add to my PT bag of tricks. I've also met so many helpful, friendly, interesting Australians. I get to spend the better portion of each weekday talking to Aussies about their country, which has led to lots of great travel tips. Last week, based on recommendations from two patients who have gotten to know me well, I went on a cruise on the Hawkesbury River. The cruise is that of Australia's only remaining riverboat postman. Some of the shores and small islands of the Hawkesbury River are accessible only by water (read: no roads!). The boat delivers mail, newspapers, and small groceries on the 40k trip from Brooklyn to Spencer.

Leaving from Brooklyn Wharf:
Heaps of dingys:
Little Wobby, the first delivery stop:
The goods:
I was joined by 2 busloads of senior citizens and happened to be the only person on the boat without white hair. Don't get me wrong, they were quite friendly and I really enjoyed talking to them. So friendly, in fact, that one gentleman insisted on taking a photo of me on his digital camera because I'm "an American girl." He offered to take a picture of me with my camera, then asked me to send it to him on a cd or dvd because he's currently having trouble with his email account. Adorable, and quite impressive! So here I am, enjoying the views, conversation, and of course representing GW while down under!

No comments:

Post a Comment